Safety measures for gyms and fitness centers
Post Date:05/18/2020 7:50 AM
PURSUANT TO EXECUTIVE ORDER 20-123 AS ISSUED MAY 15, 2020
Effective May 18, the following safety measures are mandatory for gyms and fitness centers:
- Monitor building occupancy and restrict customer access to no more than 50 percent of the building’s occupancy.
- Offer readily-available dispensers of a disinfectant included on the EPA List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2 and provide patrons with sufficient cleaning materials, including disposable wipes. Instruct patrons to clean touched surfaces upon each use of fitness equipment.
- Thoroughly clean and disinfect all seating, counters, weights, weight bars, mats, machines, and other fitness equipment upon closing the facility each day.
- During daily operation, routinely clean and disinfect surfaces, particularly high-touch surfaces such as faucets, toilets, doorknobs, and light switches.
- Maintain restrooms that remain open with functional toilets, clean and disinfected surfaces, and handwashing supplies, including soap and materials for drying hands or hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.Employees who appear to have symptoms upon arrival at work or who become sick during the day must immediately be separated from other employees, customers, and visitors, and sent home.
Effective May 18, the following best practices are also recommended for gyms and fitness centers:
- Display posters and signs throughout the facility to remind visitors to take steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19, including the wiping and sanitation of touched surfaces upon each use of fitness equipment.
- Open doors between separate fitness areas or rooms of the facility to reduce surface touching by multiple people. Open windows where feasible to improve ventilation in the facility.
- Remove all unnecessary, frequently touched items like magazines, newspapers, service menus and any other unnecessary paper products and décor from customer waiting areas and locker rooms.